Wollongong City Council offers not only jobs but careers. If you are looking for a career with a variety of opportunities, the chance to make a difference and add value to the community, we have a lot to offer!
Undergraduate Development Program
Permanent | Full Time
Salary from $1,036 per week plus superannuation
Recruitment No 20019
Are you an accounting student looking for an opportunity to apply your skills in the workplace?
We are offering an exciting opportunity for a motivated and enthusiastic student who is part way through a Bachelor of Commerce degree majoring in Accountancy (or similar degree) who would like to complement their tertiary studies with on the job experience. The Undergraduate Development Program (UDP) offers an exciting opportunity to gain experience across a broad range of financial and accounting functions while continuing your studies.
Persons who have completed at least one year, but not more than half of a relevant degree or double degree course will be eligible for the Undergraduate Development Program (UDP).
The UDP offers the successful applicants permanent employment with rotations between a number of positions within the Finance Division. If you are highly motivated and willing to learn you will achieve accelerated development through specific projects and support tasks, organisational training, involvement in process reviews, mentoring from professional staff and working with the UDP group.
Council will provide a financial contribution to payment of university fees as well as exam leave.
Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future opportunities in the team, which may include part time or temporary relief list opportunities.
Benefits of working at Council:
- We support and encourage study and career development
- We encourage personal and professional growth
- We understand the importance of work/life balance
- We recognise and reward performance and embrace change
- We are committed to providing a safe working environment for all
- We offer Flexible work arrangements + 35 hour working week
- We offer a varied lifestyle benefits program including corporate discounts
How to Apply
For this role, you are required to address each of the selection criteria outlined below in a separate written document and attach to your application. Please note that hardcopy, faxed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
- Currently completed more than 12 months (and completed no more than half) of full time study towards a Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) or similar degree. (in your application, please demonstrate/outline how your similar qualification is relevant to this role).
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to the Accounting field.
- Organisational skills with the ability to work both individually or as part of a team to complete tasks in an efficient and effective manner.
- Experience in providing customer service with a proven ability to communicate with internal/external customers.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong numeracy and literacy skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to exercise judgement and discretion.
- Demonstrated understanding of Work Health and Safety principles relevant to the position
For further information regarding this position contact Diane Ball, Personal Assistant Finance on (02) 4227 7011.
Any questions regarding submitting the application online please contact the Recruitment team on (02) 4227 7065.
Applications close 12 midday Monday 24 February 2020.
Wollongong City Council is committed to the principles of employment equity and diversity and encourages applications from people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds in both traditional and non-traditional roles.
Applicants are required to undergo a rigorous employment screening process which will include Reference, Identity and Medical History Checks, and may also include a Criminal History and Working with Children Check. Employment is subject to clearance of all these checks.