Wollongong is a vibrant, diverse city, situated on one of Australia's most picturesque coastlines. Regarded as Australia's most liveable regional city, Wollongong offers a relaxed, coastal lifestyle with all the benefits of a major city.
Wollongong City Council is committed to the principles of employment equity and diversity and encourages applications from people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds in both traditional and non-traditional roles.
Full Time - 3 Years Limited Term
Salary from $1,309 up to $1,389 per week plus superannuation
(Salary will be assessed based on skills, experience and qualifications)
Recruitment No 20179R
Are you looking for a career in Structural Design?
About the Position:
We are excited to offer an opportunity for an enthusiastic Structural Designer who is completing or has recently completed their tertiary qualification and in the early stages of their career to join our multi-disciplinary design and technical services team. The team is responsible for the delivery of Council’s capital projects and maintenance work design documentation.
We are looking for a Structural Designer who wants to grow their design and drafting experience across a range of infrastructure and/or building design projects.
The successful applicant will be working in a team to prepare design documentation, work with external consultants and prepare contract documentation for a wide range of structural design projects.
This position is full time limited term up to 3 years and flexible working arrangements will be considered for the right applicant.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
We are looking for an individual who can demonstrate:
- Prepare contract documentation (drawings) and specifications for Structural design and building construction with a strong emphasis in the design and documentation of municipal structures.
- Work with relevant computer software with experience in computer aided drafting.
- Work effectively as part of a team.
- Aptitude for analysing, resolving and reporting on relevant technical problems and issues to a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Knowledge of current relevant regulations, standards and guidelines.
- Understanding of Work Health and Safety principles and risk assessments.
Benefits of working at Council:
- We have a culture based on values of Integrity, Respect, Sustainability, One Team and Courage
- We support and encourage study and career development
- We foster personal and professional growth
- We understand the importance of work/life balance and offer flexible work arrangements
- We recognise and reward performance and embrace change
- We are committed to providing a safe working environment for all
- We provide many mental, physical and social wellbeing programs to support our staff to be the best that they can be
How to Apply
Wollongong City Council uses a merit based recruitment process. It is essential to respond to each of the selection criteria, writing at least one to two paragraphs using specific and actual examples of how you have demonstrated the particular skill, qualification or experience. Provide relevant examples from your work, study or community roles. Be clear and to the point. Please use actual examples of what you have done, how well you did it, what you achieved, and how it relates to the requirements of the job. Applications that do not answer all the criteria will not be considered. Your CV alone will not be enough information for your application to be assessed. Please note that hardcopy, faxed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
A copy of our Selection Criteria Template can be found HERE.
For your application to be considered please ensure that you address the following Essential & Desirable Selection Criteria
Essential Selection Criteria:
- Completed (or completing in 2021) tertiary qualifications in Structural or Civil Design.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of contract documentation (drawings) and specifications for Structural design and building construction.
- Proven ability working with relevant computer software with experience in computer aided drafting.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated experience analysing, resolving and reporting on relevant technical problems and issues to a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current relevant regulations, standards and guidelines.
- Demonstrated understanding of Work Health and Safety principles and risk assessments.
- Hold a current driver’s licence.
Desirable Selection Criteria:
- Experience in Architectural design or drafting.
For further information regarding this position please contact Jon Griffiths, Senior Design Engineer - Structural + Architectural – Coordinator on (02) 4227 7653.
Any questions regarding submitting the application online please contact the Recruitment team on (02) 4227 7065.
Applications close 12 midday Monday 25 January 2021.
Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future opportunities in the team, which may include part time, temporary and or relief roles.
Applicants are required to undergo a rigorous employment screening process which will include Reference, Identity and Medical History Checks, and may also include a Criminal History and Working with Children Check. Employment is subject to clearance of all these checks.